Les Gitês de Fontenioux is situated in a sunny microclimate, which you can take full advantage of with our spacious heated pool and landscaped gardens. The swimming pool measures 9×4.5m, has a sundeck, and is enclosed with approved security fencing and self-closing gate. We are well off the road with a perimeter fence, making it an ideal spot for children to play in safety.
There are two parking areas and within the grounds there are barbecues, swings, tree-stump play area and plenty of room to sunbathe, have al fresco lunch or find a quiet corner to read. There is an excellent boulangerie in the local village just 5 minutes away by car (10 minutes by bike, 20 minutes walking). There are supermarkets 10 minutes away in Secondigny or L’Absie, both open Sunday mornings.
- The 9 x 4.5 m fenced swimming pool, with sundeck is heated from last week in April to first week in October. Suitable for all abilities and ages at a level 1.2 metres deep.
- Parking is free and vehicles can be parked in front of the gîtes or at the bottom of the drive. We do not limit the number of vehicles.
- Bike sheds, two out-houses that are clean dry and secure with a canopy in front for undercover maintenance. Top-boxes, bike carriers etc can also be stored.
- Barbecues with free charcoal.
- Landscaped gardens, with perimeter fence and a large area for outdoor games.
- Tree-stump play area.
- Outdoor picnic tables, chairs, sun-loungers and parasols.
- Free WiFi.
- Excellent boulangerie, (also stocks ‘corner shop’ items). 20 minutes walk, 5 minutes drive or 10 minutes cycle.
- Restaurant/bar in the village 25 minutes walk or 5 minutes drive plus a restaurant/bar (with take-away-menu) in a nearby village 8 minutes drive .
- Within 10 minutes drive are larger villages with bars, restaurants, banks, post offices (post office in Vernoux, restricted hours), doctors, chemists, hairdressers, tabacs.
- All of our facilities are shared between the two gites, Marguerite and Violette.
- Marguerite and Violette have a connecting door so can be booked together for up to twelve people, who would have exclusive use of the facilities.
There are many local attractions for both nature lovers, cyclists and families alike. Our gîtes are in an area known as the Gatine in the department of Deux Sevrès, part of the greater Poitou Charente region, home of the picturesque port town of La Rochelle and the Marais Poitevin marshes, and right near the border with Vendée and its famous sandy beaches. We are uniquely placed equidistant to the popular Futuroscope and Puy du Fou theme parks, and the large Pescalis fishing reserve is just 20 minutes to the North.
There are many local walking and cycling routes that we can share with you during your stay, and the landscape is popular with artists and photographers, many of whom have galleries in the nearby medieval walled town of Vouvant (30 mins), one of the “Les Plus Beaux Villages de France”. The Mervent-Vouvant forest area is perfect for bird-watchers and nature enthusiasts, and has over 200kms of marked footpaths and many picnic areas, a zoo, water sports, and the Parc de Pierre Brune amusement park. For the more serious cyclist we are not far from the Parthenay section of “La Vélo Francette”, which streches from Ouistram to La Rochelle (further information on www.cycling.lavelofrancette). Although there are many local picturesque and interesting routes to explore.
Also well worth a visit are the ancient fortified town of Parthenay (30 mins), and the local towns of Niort and Fontenay le Comte (45 mins), with their pleasant town centres, parks, art galleries, museums and restaurants. Just over an hour away is the historic city of Poitiers, with its many fine examples of historical architecture, not to forget the Futuroscope theme park. The internationally aclaimed Puy du Fou historic theme park (50 mins) is very popular and probably best booked in advance on their (English) website.
For more details on specific activities in the area, you can visit the “In the Vendée” website, which has detailed information on what to do in the Vendée and Deux Sevrès departments.